Thursday, May 5, 2005

Question #45 - Funerals

Tell about a funeral you attended that you will never forget.

I honestly haven't been to too many funerals.  I've been to a lot of wakes, and those are always hard.  Even if a close friend has someone pass away, I never know what words to say to feel helpful to them besides I'm sorry for your loss. There is one funeral that I attended that I can't seem to forget. A friend that I had gone to grade school with lost her father several years ago. A bunch of friends and I from grade school went to the funeral, and wondered if our friend would be there. You see, this friend had been sick ever since were in 7th grade. She slowly had been deteriorating over the years, to the point where she couldn't even speak. She ended up being put in a health care facility when it became too hard for her parents to care for her. Anyhow, toward the end of the ceremony, we heard her cries in the back of the church. We saw her nurse with her, and she was in her wheelchair. I started sobbing right then and there. I felt so awful for her, that she could not verbally express how she was feeling, or even fully cry. Her father was a wonderful man, worked hard for his family. But I remember his funeral because of the anguish of his daughter.

Sadly, this friend died last year. She didn't have a funeral, just a memorial service, because she donated her body to science. I will never forget her, and am so terribly sorry that I didn't see her for the last year of her life. But that is another story....

 

No comments: